Secrets revealed! "Meet the New Boss", Sonic! After the dramatic events of the last two issues and the secret of Dr. Eggman, Sonic races off to shut down the organized Badniks at the source. Unfortunately, there’s more at play than Sonic has realized—and more powerful players…
"Meet the New Boss"
The issue opens with Sonic and Tails in the Tornado, approaching an Egg Carrier. After a brief discussion about Sonic's plan to infiltrate the carrier and find out who's controlling the Badniks, Sonic leaps off the Tornado, and makes his way to the Egg Carrier's bridge area. Once there, Sonic is greeted by Eggman and a horde of Egg Pawns. Eggman begins going on a rant about his latest plan, but Sonic interrupts him, and point's out that he isn't the real Eggman. This prompts "Eggman" to drop his disguise, revealing himself to actually be Neo Metal Sonic.
Sonic recalls his last battle with Neo Metal Sonic as the latter explains that Eggman removed all rebelliousness from his coding in the wake of that event. He had been upgraded to his Neo form during the War, intended as Eggman's "ultimate weapon" for the final battle against the Resistance; unfortunately, Sonic and the Resistance had already won by the time he was completed. With Eggman's bio-data incorporated in his new systems, Neo Metal Sonic disguised himself as Eggman in order to maintain the remnants of the Eggman Empire; however, his ultimate goal is to find his creator and restore him to his rightful place.
Since Sonic knows where Eggman is, Neo wants Sonic to tell him where Eggman is, so he can hand over control of the Empire back to him. Sonic processes all this, and then launches himself at Neo Metal, unleashing a barrage of Homing Attacks on his mechanical doppelganger. Neo Metal is pushed back by the assault, but proclaims that he has successfully copied Sonic's bio-data before retaliating. Realizing that this is a fight he can't win, Sonic makes his escape to the deck of the Egg Carrier, destroying Egg Pawns and cannon batteries alike.
Neo Metal Sonic manages to corner his organic counterpart, seizing him by the neck and demanding to know Eggmanès location. Sonic points out that Neo Metal Sonic won't learn anything from him if he's dropped from the ship, but the villain retorts that he will find the doctor one way or another. In response, Sonic kicks his way out of Neo Metal Sonic's grip, falling off the side of the ship to be saved by Tails.
Back at the Resistance HQ, Sonic fills everyone in on what went down, and they make plans to raid Eggman's bases to find out what they can about Neo Metal's plan. The issue closes out with the Egg Fleet approaching Angel Island, with Neo Metal Sonic stating that Sonic can take all the time he wants, for he has already won.
- Sonic infiltrates the Egg Fleet.
- The second Doctor Eggman watching over the events of the previous issues is revealed to be Metal Sonic, once again assuming his Neo form.
- Neo Metal Sonic reveals his intentions to find Eggman and restore him as the ruler of the Eggman Empire.
- After a fierce battle, Sonic escapes his metallic doppelganger and relays his discovery back to Resistance HQ.
- The Egg Fleet approaches Angel Island.
- Previously: Previously is a summary of previous issues' key story moments. It features a page of relevant panels from the previous issues.
- Roll Call: Roll Call acts as a quick reference guide to new readers about the characters. This issue provides data files on Sonic, Tails and the Egg Pawn.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Sonic Letters Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them.
- Donald Quest #1 - Free Digital Ashcan
- Five of the six covers feature a foil cover title, excluding the Diamond Lunch variant. This is the first time a Sonic comic has had a foil cover.
- Three different variants were Available at San Diego Comic Con 2018:
- Jamal Pepper's variant was available at the IDW Booth.
- Adam Bryce Thomas's variant was available at Diamond Booths.
- Nathalie Fourdraine's Variant was given as a gift to attendees of the Diamond Retailer Lunch.
- The original teaser image for the second variant cover at San Diego Comic Con 2018 was a blank cover with a giant blue question mark - used as a placeholder image.
Cameos & References
- Sonic recounts the events of Sonic Heroes, the last time Metal Sonic turned into his Neo form.
- Sonic recalls fighting a "phantom" Metal Sonic during the war (Sonic Forces), as in, an illusionary version conjured up by the Phantom Ruby.
- When Metal threatens to drop Sonic from the ship, Sonic responds by uttering "I never fear the fall", which is a lyric from "His World", the main theme of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
Convention Exclusive Covers
|Sonic the Hedgehog||
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55
Team Sonic Racing (DTC Edition) | Tangle & Whisper #0 | HCF 2019 | 30th Anniversary FCB Day 2021 |Sonic the Hedgehog: 30th Anniversary Special (Deluxe Edition) |FCBD 2022 | Sonic the Hedgehog 2: The Official Movie Pre-Quill
|Reprints & Compilations||
Sonic the Hedgehog Graphic Novel Series | Issue 1-4 Box Set | Tangle & Whisper Box Set (Cancelled) | Sonic the Hedgehog: Bonds of Friendship | Sonic & Tails: Best Buds Forever | Sonic the Hedgehog (one-shot)
|The IDW Collection|